Business rates

Everyone seems to have a solution for fixing the high street, but nobody’s buying. Fifteen independent shops a day are lost and this genuinely pains me. Ever since I got my first Fisher-Price cash register, I’ve had a thing about bricks-and-mortar shops. The first true pangs of jealousy I ever felt were seeing a photo of my older cousin helping out in my great aunt’s hardware shop in Plymouth. Why wasn’t I being afforded that opportunity?
As soon as I could, I began working in retail. It’s a bug that has never entirely left me. When, a couple of years ago, my husband and I opened a gallery-craft shop in a pretty harbour town in Devon, it was like the fulfilment of a dream. For those who don’t understand the appeal: when you have your own shop you get to do a bit of everything – branding, stock control, marketing and, in our case, representing the local producers and craftspeople who made our stock.
You also learn much about human nature and patience. When one in three visitors announces: “Well, this is something a bit different”, you could happily throw a lamp base at them. But, instead, you just radiate goodwill. It feels a complete and constructive vocation. For a time, you even fool yourself that you can earn a living.