Different ways of thinking


The world famous* author of this book has kindly donated this article.

Different kinds of thinking may change your life. Even when taking examinations, different approaches may still lead to the same result i.e. a grade A. Take for example, a longer 20 mark question....you may think you have to write a lot and evaluate and evaluate. 

Well, in the context of the whole exam, no.

What you DO have to do is maximise your marks for the shorter questions - especially the numerical ones.

If you do that then a 'mere' 12/20 for the higher mark questions will make sure you get the A.

And how to do that?

Just remember to have knowledge, show application, show analysis with a chain of reasoning, have balance and then evaluate. Even if the evaluation is short or the analysis a little short too - so what? PROVIDED you have the knowledge and application you'll still get, say, EIGHT out of 20 and if you have already scored highly on the previous questions...

Now let's look at other types of thinking...

Possibility Thinking


You think: I can't get a grade A. I haven't done much work. I am not really that good at Business and Economics.
What to think instead: What do Examiners actually want? What is written in exam reports? What is written in the comments section for the exemplars? The key aspect is TIMING. The key knowledge is DEFINITIONS. One of the key skills is being able to work out percentages. All of these are fairly straightforward to remedy. 
GET     A      WATCH - or, better, a stopwatch.
Now let's apply this to business.
You think: I can’t go for a promotion. I’m less than 12 months into my job. (Note: your current teacher applied for a lecturers job teaching Business Studies whilst he was actually on that course as a student! He was interviewed too!)

What to think instead: What if I could go for that promotion? Have other people in my company made it happen in under a year? Who can I speak to internally to learn more? Where can I find some proof this is doable? How can I take the right action to make this a real option?
Creative thinking
You think: This question asks for impact on a firm of.....  I have no idea...
What to think instead: Is a hairdresser a firm? Is an independent tutorial college a business? (Yes) So, using these two examples how might....impact them?
Now let's apply this to business.

You think: I want to try this recipe but can’t tonight because I don’t have X or Y ingredient.


What to think instead: Is there a substitute? A little creative brainstorming can yield awesome, unorthodox ideas every day. You might think, What if I tried yogurt instead of sour cream? or I want to make these biscuit. What about using applesauce instead of butter?
Not all thinking needs to produce major results to better your life. Over time, creative thinking can make your days more experimental, fun—and a heck of a lot easier.
Reflective Thinking

You think: I cannot do this question in the exam paper. I am useless. I am stupid. I will fail.

What to think instead: If you cannot do a question you may still be able to show a formula, a definition i.e. show knowledge. More importantly, if you cannot do it at all then leave it, don't make NOT doing it also mean that you lose time elsewhere. Move on. Anyway maybe later in the exam you will think of something and come back to it. (Note: some of the answer is probably in the case study)

Now let's think of this in a business context.

You think: I’m not happy where I am, but I don’t know what to do next.
What to think instead: What have the past 12 months taught you? What has (and has not) worked for you over the last year, two years, three years? Pinpoint your progress and any positive or negative changes you’ve experienced—in your health, your relationship status, your career.
Reflect on the different areas of your life and allow what is no longer serving you to be an area you commit to changing—perhaps an unfulfilling job, a toxic friendship, or some unhealthy habits. To kick-start this, focus on the positive and what can you dial up—a new hobby that came into your life? Or how about a fresh interest in design/cooking/blogging/running/joining a community group? 
Allow your past learning and experiences to fuel positive, forward momentum.
Shared Thinking
You think: I don't need to work any harder in Business/Economics. I know more than the others in my group and that's all that counts.

What to think instead: What about other groups i.e. the hundreds/thousands of other students taking these exams? Are you better than them? Working harder than them? You don't know - so do not become complacent!

Now let's put this in a real-life context:

You think: I don’t need to shake things up—my friends and I are doing fine.
What to think instead: Are you always around the same group? Are they at the level at which you truly want to perform? We become like the five people we spend the most time with. Successful people consciously and purposefully surround themselves with people smarter than themselves. 
Who do you admire in your life that you could proactively spend more time with? Use their energy and smarts to your benefit. This is an immediate step you can take to go ‘next level’ in your life.
Questioning Popular Thinking
You think: I hate all this study. And then I have university. And then I have 45 years of work. And then i die.
What to think instead: Currently I am in health. I have a roof over my head. My belly is not starving. I have friends. I might feel I lack purpose though so why not use this time to help others. Make yourself happy by making other people happy.
In a real life context:
You think: I don't like my job, but I have to pay the bills. I'm stuck with no end in sight.

What to think instead: Is that really true? Do you have to work a nine-to-five all your life? Perhaps not. Have you ever met any entrepreneurs or side hustlers who have proven that there’s another way? The same goes for many other facets of conventional thinking. Do you have to get married? Not if you don't want to. Do you have to live in the city you were born in? Heck no. You don't have to follow the herd. (Amen!)


*Maybe not that famous...